Dual combination of sport Chess Boxing has been in operation since 1992 and is a sport requiring both brain and brawn. Since 1992 the sport has gone global with countries including England, Germany, Netherlands, France, Russia and Japan all embracing the new sport. The participants have to be skilled in both boxing and chess to compete at the highest level.
Object of the Game
The main target of chess boxing is to either beat your opponent in alternate rounds of chess or boxing. Matches can be won from either discipline with the chess coming down to checkmate or forfeit and the boxing in either a stoppage or points decision.
Players & Equipment
Participants go head to head in chess boxing and the match starts with a four-minute round of chess. Then both players go into the ring for a three minute round of boxing before again returning to the chess board. The match consists of 11 rounds in all (6 rounds of chess and 5 rounds of boxing) with 1-minute intervals between rounds.
Both players have boxing gloves which are removed for the chess round. Headphones are given to the players when taking part in chess so not hear advice from the audience. The chess side of the game is played out over a 12-minute clock and is essentially ‘speed chess’. Officials may step in if they believe a player to be stalling in the chess rounds to force them into a move within 10 seconds.
How to Win
To win you must either gain checkmate or receive a withdrawal from the chess game. Alternatively, you can knock your opponent out in boxing or win on points to receive the win if the chess is a draw.
Rules of Chess Boxing
Img Src:chess boxing global
- Players must not deliberately waste time when playing the chess discipline of the game. If the referees deem that they are then a 10 second penalty will be placed.
- Knowledge of both boxing and chess disciplines is must.
- Players must have a chess rating of at least 1800 to compete in the sport.
- They have option to win from either the chess or boxing rounds.
- 6 rounds of chess and 5 rounds of boxing will be completed unless the contest is stopped with a winner in a previous round.